Today I was at the protest. I was praying for that girl’s soul, her bravery for coming out about being raped and abused and dehumanized by the son of one of our MPs.
I clapped when your name was called, thinking you were the Albanian Dr. Ford, almost hoping this would open the same conversation for us. #MeToo, her too, so many of us TOO.
MP’s son was in jail too, so many of us on the right side of history! I was there, overwhelmed by positive feelings I didn’t put into words, and by negative feelings that I did:
- Your performative allyship makes me SICK. You get out there and try to take the perfect picture of your palm, where you’ve written I AM HER, thinking that will be enough.
- You get out there to speak on behalf of our country, but unlike all the women in front of you, Kanavaugh-style you scream, you yell, you throw a tantrum. No, you don’t represent us. We won’t accommodate you. When you get off stage, you’re not that angry at all. This is all for show, and it’s painfully obvious when you pay just a bit attention.
- You just smile and laugh. Is this funny to you?
- You say “You might think we’re here to protest violence against women. No, this is political.”
- You’re here as one of the hundreds of cameraMEN, you’re just doing your job, unclear as to why you’re here or why this is needed, you tell your (female) friends oh yeah violence against women, hah, all women need, is some dick, your female friends giggle, say you said it, we didn’t. They want to protest their rights, but not that much that they’re seen as Angry Feminists. So they agree with you, losing yet another tiny battle. You carry on, playing poker on your phone, smug face and all- you sure showed them. Mansplaining gender-based violence is one of your all-time favorite activities.
- A woman says was this is it? she can’t wait for it to be over. She’s never been ~oppressed~, she can’t understand what the fuss is about.
- Someone says wow, look at that woman, she’s SO pregnant, look at her, another says to a couple why have you brought your baby here?!
So many people seem to not understand and yet, they’re here. Unknowingly, unwillingly, cluelessly. And this is how you stay stagnant, moj Shqipni e mjera Shqipni.
Update: She denied everything. I’m too angry, too hurt, too heartbroken to talk more about it. So here’s a tweet.