Since the petition, and with all the awesomeness I’ve encountered, I’ve been in quite the sharing mood. My workout and exercise schedule falls on that spectrum.
It’s important for your body to come from a place of love, not hate. I’m not referring to your parents’ lovemaking sessions you freak you.
u003cstrongu003eHeavyu003c/strongu003e trigger warning: body image, body image issues, weight loss, eating disorders, fat-shaming
The 1000 calorie workout
Fitness Blender is my favorite workout channel in the whole world. FB does 0 fat-shaming and their community is extremely supportive. They’ve shared 600+ free, highly researched exercise videos, for all fitness levels, for almost a decade now.
Last week I did one of their famous 90 minutes, 1000 calorie-burning workout.
They have millions of subscribers, and they celebrate each new million with a new 1000 calorie workout. Champagne follows suit, but that’s irrelevant (though champagne itself is never irrelevant).
How the way I view exercise and 1000 calorie workouts changed over the years
Sticking to a regular exercise schedule has worked wonders for my mental and physical health. (I know weight isn’t in and of itself a marker of good health, please also read Fuck Weight Loss: Bikini, Beyoncé, and Weight Misconceptions, Debunked if you haven’t.)
As with anything, the best advice I can give you is to just start.
Start small, but start. Speed isn’t as important as building momentum.
In A Month Later, 5 Tips for Building a Writing Routine, or Hey, Any New Habit Really I shared my tips on just that, easily applicable for an exercise schedule, roughly mentioned below:
- Pick a time – Ideally and also realistically, when are you most likely to do this work? I picked a specific day, Sunday, and explained why it worked out for me
- Make it as smooth as possible for yourself – Smooth peanut butter is a disgrace. Smooth as butter is what we’re aiming for here. Friction isn’t good for anyone.
- Aim for real, not perfect – YouTube creators who promise absurd things like 5 videos a week either fall behind, making their ‘WHY I LEFT YOUTUBE’ video reappearance months later, or they follow through, just to eventually end up so burnt out they can’t stand to look at a camera again.
- Public accountability – Reading about it then, it was wild to me that Person 1 would have to pay Person 2 if Person 1 didn’t do what they said they would.
- Pick something you care about – Self-explanatory, but I like explaining. Communication, am I right?! Let’s divide this tip into two categories, so you get extra tips. I love math.
The #1 thing that made a difference
The number one thing that made a difference in the way I did and viewed my workouts was the reason behind them.
Years ago, as a half-adult still trying to find myself while navigating the world around me, I made my body suffer along.
Until I stopped.
I used to do the 1000 calorie workouts to punish myself, my body, my appetite. I was happy they existed, I could quickly undo “the damage” I’d done by overeating or indulging.
Now, I focus on doing various workouts during the week (if I can make time for them). They’re rarely longer than 40 minutes, the Fitness Blender team themselves said they never work out for more than an hour. I workout for more strength, endurance, flexibility, a clearer mind, not fat loss.
Now, I rarely do one of the 1000 calorie workouts, but I did last week, just to reward myself.
Just to appreciate my body and all it can do; to prove again to my body what it’s capable of. Just out of love.
Find a way to move your body, one that’s sustainable long term, and most importantly, one you enjoy.
Just out of love.